Black mold, also known as Stachybotrys chartarum, is considered to be highly toxic due to the amount of mycotoxins it produces. Mycotoxins are harmful toxins produced by mold and can be quite dangerous to humans living in a home with black mold present. It is present in the mold itself, and can also be airborne. The most common, and dangerous, way mycotoxins enter the body is through inhalation. It can also occur through ingestion or direct contact with the mold itself.
Early mold detection is crucial for a family’s well-being. It can be detected by either sight or smell. If mold is not remediated properly, a family may experience health issues such as respiratory problems, organ damage, or mental disorientation or impairment.
Mold can develop in any area of the home where it is consistently damp. Although black mold is dangerous, it can be remediated to make one’s home safe for healthy living. Remediation should be done by professionals to ensure the job is done correctly to prevent any reoccurrence of this dangerous, toxic mold.
The Importance of Mold Remediation
Mold is everywhere, regardless of what is done to ensure it does not become a problem in a home. Large areas of mold are called colonies. If mold does become a problem, remediation is necessary. It is important to realize that mold cannot be completely removed from any location, but it is considered safe at certain levels. Remediation should always be done by professionals to make sure that all areas are returned to their natural state. Once mold has been detected, experts should be called in to assess the situation and make the correct plan for remediation. A mold remediation plan includes the following:
- Inspection of the areas in question, followed by an assessment as to the next plan of action.
- Mold containment to ensure that it does not spread during the cleaning process of the contaminated area.
- Air filtration is also used during the remediation process to capture any loose mold particles, helping to avoid the spread of the mold.
- The removal of heavy mold colonies is done to eliminate the possibility of future growth. The removal may also include materials such as drywall or carpeting.
- Personal family items are cleaned and deodorized after removal of the mold colonies.
- After removal of the mold colonies and cleaning of personal items, restoration of damaged articles begins. This may include carpeting and drywall. If the mold infestation was severe, major repairs may be in order.
In order to keep the possibility of mold colonies from developing, it is important to keep moisture levels down. If there is excessive water, there is the high probability there will be mold colonies. In order to have a successful remediation of mold, any issues with water in a home should be addressed first. This will also ensure the severity of the mold colonies will not occur again.
Hire a Professional Service
Whenever mold is detected in a home, it’s best to hire professionals to remediate the problem. There are numerous types of mold, and each mold infestation will be treated differently. Although not all molds are considered to be highly toxic, it’s best to stay away from the affected area until a professional DC mold remediation service arrives. Experienced technicians know where to look for colonies that may not be visible to the naked eye. They have the correct procedures for removal of the mold to ensure it does not spread further, and also to restore living quarters and personal items.